Acupuncture – Helping treat patients in Cancer Care
7 Hours CPD
About the course
On this course you will explore how clients who have been diagnosed with, or who have had cancer, may present in your clinic both physically and emotionally, and some of the common practitioner development issues that relate directly to this.
You will discuss a cross section of the more common cancers that you may see in clinic, looking at a number of different aspects of them such as genetic predispositions, and each of these cancers will be looked at in terms of TCM Acupuncture theory.
With the tutor you will explore the current Western Treatment protocols that are being used in relation to these most common cancers, and the drugs used to treat them. You will learn in relation to TCM acupuncture theory what the effects of these drugs are, the side effects of them, and the effects of radiotherapy.
Importantly you will explore the red flags, clinical safety aspects and contraindications as to when to treat and when to refrain from treating with acupuncture, and explore issues such as informed consent in relation to end of life care.
Throughout the day there will be discussion and exploration of personal case studies drawn form the tutors many years experience.
Drawing together at the end of the day you will learn more about post treatment surgery and reconstruction, and the day will end on discussions in relation to palliative and end of life care.
The course has been uniquely devised for practising and final year therapists of all disciplines who hold professional insurances that will cover them for the use of acupuncture within their scope of practice, and who have an interest in developing and enhancing their clinical skills.
- Acupuncturists (BAcC, BMAS, ATCMA etc.).
- Osteopaths (Dry needling).
- Chiropractors (Dry needling).
- Physiotherapists (AACP).
A working knowledge of acupuncture (any particular style) is required.
- Refreshments and lunch sadly are not provided.
- You will need to bring a pen or pencil, we will be providing everything else; full colour course notes, all of the training equipment etc.
- You will be formatively assessed throughout the course by the tutor, with them providing you with constructive feedback and instruction.
- All participants must be prepared to give and receive treatments during the training, and a must be over 18 years old.
- If you are fasting for religious or other reasons you must inform the tutor before the course commences.
- As a participant you must have a sound working knowledge of Acupuncture.
- Due to the practical hands on nature of the course the minimum number of participants is 6.
Great Maze Pond
Tutor Jake Gold
Jake currently works as an Acupuncturist and Massage Therapist in private practice in Northamptonshire, Buckinghamshire and within a cancer charity in London where, he sees people in various stages of cancer treatment. He gained his degree in Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture from the University of Westminster and has subsequently broadened his Acupuncture knowledge base with Japanese Acupuncture as well as various forms of therapeutic massage…read more