Exploring electroacupuncture – from theory to practice
Electroacupuncture is an integral part of successful acupuncture practice, it is very compatible with traditional acupuncture methods and may often help where these have not given satisfactory results.
This one-day clinical workshop will help you feel more comfortable with the theory and practice of electroacupuncture and other related treatment techniques, such as transcutaneous electroacupuncture. The day will be split between lecture-style presentation, demonstration and experiential sessions, so there will be plenty of time for group discussions and the exploration and development of ideas.
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for registered healthcare professionals including Acupuncturists, Osteopaths, Masseurs, Physiotherapists, Chiropractors, final year students etc. who hold professional insurances that will cover them for the use of electroacupuncture within their scope of practice. Participants should have a sound working knowledge of acupuncture, and preferably some prior experience of electroacupuncture or TENS, it is not intended for those who have received no training in any form of acupuncture.
What will I learn?
This CPD training will help you to develop a greater understanding of how electroacupuncture works, based on a contemporary neuroscience model; to become more conversant with the electrical characteristics of the devices used in practice and to understand when electroacupuncture is and is not appropriate.
You will learn;
- how to create treatment protocols with a rationale that gives you confidence when using nontraditional acupuncture methods,
- to improve your practical skills when using electroacupuncture,
- to enhance your critical skills when reading published studies on electroacupuncture,
- to integrate electroacupuncture and transcutaneous electroacupuncture into your usual acupuncture practice
- and to learn with enjoyment and without stress.
Throughout the day the you will cover understanding electricity, the neuroscience behind electroacupuncture, and the appropriate selection of electrical parameters and points in treatment. You will look at current evidence from clinical studies and other recent research on what to use and when, and importantly look at the contraindications to electroacupuncture, and precautions when using it.
The experiential sessions will allow you to develop your own rationales in the treatment situation, explore treatment possibilities using both needles and surface electrodes, use different devices, and observe and reflect on the changes that occur in response to electrical stimulation.
How many hours CPD?
- 7 hours CPD.
- The course will run from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.
Is the course assessed?
- A self-assessment form will be provided for you to complete before the end of the day.
- Due to the practical nature of the course the minimum attendees required to run the course is 6.
- You will be supplied with a full set of comprehensive colour notes, a CPD certificate of attendance, access to the CPD Group app, and all the clinical equipment needed to train.
- Before attending the course, please brush up on what you have been taught about electroacupuncture.
- If on the day you are fasting for religious or other reasons, please inform the tutor before the course commences.
- Please look at the open access online database at www.electroacupunctureknowledge.com and explore how you might use it to develop a protocol for treating a condition of your choice.
- If you have an electroacupuncture machine and would like to bring it to the course, please do so.
- You must have read, understood and completed the confidentiality and screening document, be prepared to give and receive treatments during the training, and are over 18 years old.